Back to School! It’s a busy time of year! This is the perfect time to prioritize meal prepping and keeping healthy and quick snacks and meals on hand.
Meal prep tips
- Cook things in batches. Buy a large pack of meat, marinate and grill it all at once, eat it for a few days until you run out. If it’s something like steak, you can even keep it on the rare side so when you reheat it, it isn’t overcooked.
- You can also cook large batches of rice or potatoes to keep in a container in the fridge to pair with meats (even keep a measuring cup right in the container to make things really easy). The bags of 90 second rice are also amazing to keep on hand!
- Buy frozen veggies to add to meals quickly without needing to wash them or check over them, etc.
- Get good storage containers! The Pyrex glass containers work great and fit well in a lunch box. Prep only two days out in these containers though, because trying to do too many at once can be overwhelming.
- Keep quick snacks or easy little things to go with your lunches on hand, like yogurt, cheese sticks, or pieces of fruit.
- Single serving packs of tuna or chicken
- Cheese sticks
- Vegetables and hummus
- Cut up and/or pre washed fruit
- Beef jerky
- Cottage cheese
- Small pack of nuts
- Apple with a little peanut butter
- Stuffed hot peppers
- Turkey, ham or chicken roll ups with a little cheese
- Small quiches
- Instant oatmeal
- Protein bars
Feel free to come chat with me during one of my FREE September office hours:
9/21 from 5-6 pm, and 9/28 from 5-6 pm.
Jen Hazzard is a Alpin Haus Fitness’ Nutritionist, a Precision Nutrition Certified Nutrition Coach, NCCPT certified Personal Trainer, holds a bachelor‘s degree in Biochemistry with a minor in Nutrition and a master’s degree in Chemistry Education.
She is also a record holding powerlifter and former marathon runner.