Happy Autumn -the time where the trees say good-bye to their leaves.
A Time of Letting Go. In Chinese Medicine, Autumn is the time of the element Metal and the organs are Lungs and Large Intestines.
The breath technique for this season is INHALE for the lungs and EXHALE for the large intestines.
Inhale – draw life (and all it has to offer) very deeply into the lungs and then exhale and let go of life (drawing awareness into the large intestines (the organ of elimination).
Inhale Lungs, Exhale Large Intestine
1. This breathing technique can be done anywhere, anytime (seated, standing or lying down).
2. Once comfortable, bring your awareness to your natural breath entering in and exiting out through your nose
3. Inhale, feel yourself drawing life into your lungs, into your body. Feel your body receive life and all it has to offer.
4. Exhale, feel yourself letting go. Letting go of anything old and unnecessary from within your body (and your mind).
5. Inhale, tune into your lungs filling with life. Filling with oxygen and rich experience. Deepen your inhale to take more life in.
6. Exhale, bring awareness down into your lower belly, the area of the large intestines, the organ of elimination.
Tune into the downward energy of letting go (just like the leaves falling gently downward from the trees). Deepen your exhale, allow yourself to empty.
7. Continue for 6-12 rounds: inhaling lungs, exhaling large intestines.
8. Then, feeling complete, transition usefully and mindfully into the next part of your day,
ready to receive more of what life has to offer you.
Jennilee helped establish the hot yoga studio at Alpin Haus Fitness Center and soon after in 2016 joined as an instructor. Since 2017, she has been the Group Exercise Program Coordinator, leading a group of over 25 instructors. Jennilee was promoted to Alpin Haus Fitness Center Manager in March 2021.