Navigating these varying temperatures can be tough.
Will it rain with thunderstorms today?
Will it be cool and breezy?
Will it be hot and humid?
It can be a bit unsettling to try to figure it all out!
Try this 4-part segmental breath to bring you in alignment and help you center deeply in the present moment, and whatever weather it may have to offer!
4-part Segmental Breath
1. Find a comfortable seat with your eyes closed, hands resting on your lap or on your knees.
2. Take a few long slow deep breaths (in through your nose and out through your mouth). This allows for you to land a little more in your body.
3. Now, sip in your breath through your nose slowly 4 times (sip in breath, pause, sip in breath, pause, sip in breath, pause and one more time sip in breath and pause).
4. Try to hold the last pause a little longer (really feel that you filled up your lungs with breath).
5. When you ready, slowly (as soundlessly as possible) exhale 4 times (exhale a little breath, pause, exhale a little breath, pause, exhale a little breath, pause and one last time, exhale a
little breath and pause).
6. Again, try to hold that last pause a little longer. Really feel as though your have emptied all stale air out of your lungs.
7. Do this 4-part Segmental Breath four times in total.
8. Once you have completed four rounds simply sit with eyes closed and return to natural breathing in and out through your nose.
9. When it is time for you to transition into next part of your day, open your eyes slowly, inhale and stretch your body (prepare it for moving).
10. Have a great day (whatever the weather may be!!!)
Jennilee helped establish the hot yoga studio at Alpin Haus Fitness Center and soon after in 2016 joined as an instructor. Since 2017, she has been the Group Exercise Program Coordinator, leading a group of over 25 instructors. Jennilee was promoted to Alpin Haus Fitness Center Manager in March 2021.